Social insurance number

A social insurance number (SIN) is issued by Service Canada to persons authorized to work in Canada.

You must obtain a social insurance number before you are hired as your employer must declare your SIN within 3 days following the date you begin work. Your SIN is confidential: disclose it only to your employer and the government.

To obtain a social insurance number: request an SIN.

Service Canada office:
Complexe Guy-Favreau
200 René-Lévesque Boulevard West