Student Information > International students > Internship and employment

Internship and employment

Certain international students have the right to work during their course of study in Canada. This privilege allows you to acquire work experience in Quebec and increase your income.

Combining study and work can, however, be a considerable challenge. Keep in mind that your status as an international student requires that you study on a full-time basis at ÉTS. As a result, your studies must be your primary activity during your stay in Canada.

Check the calendar of activities to take part in a workshop on part-time employment for international students.
Do you have your social insurance number?

To work in Canada, you must have a social insurance number.

Employment off campus
Certain international students are authorized to work off campus on a part-time basis during their studies without requiring a work permit.

Eligibility criteria include:
  • Hold a valid study permit
  • Be enrolled as a full-time student
  • Be enrolled in a program of six months or more leading to a diploma or certificate

According to information provided on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada  web site, students in mobility (exchange) programs are not eligible for off-campus employment during their stay.

It is your responsibility to check eligibility criteria and restrictions regarding the number of hours you may work: employment off campus.
Employment on campus
If you are a full-time international student at ÉTS and you hold a valid study permit, you are authorized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to work on the ÉTS campus.

The same is true if you take part in an exchange program at ÉTS and hold a study permit; however, remember that you must be registered full-time.

For a list of employment opportunities on campus, visit:

The ÉTS web site: part-time jobs
The Student Services blog: jobs on campus.
Labour standards and income tax
As an international student working in Canada, you are protected by legislation. You have rights but also responsibilities. It is your responsibility to manage your budget so as to be able to pay your monthly bills.

Labour standards

When you work in Canada, you have rights and are protected by labour standards. These standards include rules regarding leave, pay, and termination as well as prohibited practices, such as psychological harassment.

To find out more:
Commission des normes du travail du Québec

Income tax

Taxpayers in Quebec declare their income from the previous year both to Revenu Québec and the Canada Revenue Agency every year before April 30.

Even if you don’t work in Canada, it may be useful to file a declaration as you may be eligible for certain credits.

Every spring, a “tax clinic” is held on campus. As part of this event, you can have your income tax declaration prepared for you for a low price. Check the Interface newsletter and the calendar of activities to stay informed.

Useful links:
Canada Revenue Agency
Interface newsletter
Checklist (PDF)
Post mobility program internship
Are you an international student enrolled in a mobility program (exchange) at ÉTS?

If you would like to pursue an industry internship opportunity in Canada at the end of your studies, please note that regardless of duration, internships are considered to be employment; therefore, a work permit is required.

Visit International Experience Canada to find out more about agreements that enable youths aged 18 to 35 to obtain a work permit.
All students enrolled in an undergraduate program at ÉTS must successfully complete three paid internships. Certain graduate students enrolled in a professional-type Master's program with project may have an internship opportunity included in their program.

International students whose program includes an internship are required to obtain a coop work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

This permit, issued free of charge, allows you to work full time during your internship.

To apply for the permit, you will need your official letter of acceptance confirming that the internship is part of your program or a certificate from the Registrar’s Office.

As soon as you receive your coop work permit, present it to the Service de l’enseignement coopératif (our cooperative instruction office) along with proof that you have obtained your social insurance number.