The variety of coverage offered may be confusing. Please review the different types of coverage to insure that you are adequately covered.

Health insurance
International students studying in Quebec must be covered by a health insurance plan: either the RAMQ provincial coverage or the private health insurance through Desjardins.  Please note that members of your family who are residing with you in Quebec must also be insured through a Canadian policy. It is your responsibility to enroll them with adequate coverage.

The Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) : Quebec has established agreements with 9 countries to enroll in the provincial health care plan.

  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Greece
  • Luxembourg
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Sweden

International students covered by the RAMQ must check the expiry date on their health insurance card; the card must be valid for their entire stay at ÉTS. Students who have not presented  a new valid card before the expiration date of the previous card will be invoiced for the health insurance fees applicable to international students. These fees are NOT refundable.

In most instances, the expiration date on the RAMQ health insurance card is the same as that of the Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).

Please read the section on supplemental insurance, as not all healthcare services are covered by the RAMQ (ex: dental visits, physical therapy, etc.)

Are you moving?

Be sure to inform the RAMQ of your new address in order to receive information about renewing your health insurance coverage.

If you are registered at ÉTS and your health insurance card expires before you submit your new card to the Registrar’s Office, you will be enrolled in and billed for the Desjardins health insurance plan for international students.

Contact the RAMQ at 514 864-3411514 864-3411 or online at Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec.

Subscribe to the RAMQ’s Facebook page to find out more about renewing your coverage.

Desjardins health insurance for international students:  Desjardins insurance

The insurer will inform international students who are covered by the Desjardins group insurance plan (policy number Q178) of the date on which they can pick up their card at the Bureau du registraire (Registrar’s Office). The insurer will contact them by e-mail via their ÉTS inbox.

Details and conditions of the insurance policy

Group insurance plan brochure

Insurance for members of your family

As an international student, you must be covered by one of two Quebec health insurance and hospitalization plans: Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec or Desjardins.

When you apply for your Quebec Acceptance Certificate, you agree to maintain – during your entire stay in Quebec as a student – insurance coverage for illness and hospitalization for yourself and each member of your family who has accompanied you. Visit the MIDI web site to learn more about the conditions in effect.

If you are eligible for coverage by the RAMQ and a member of your family accompanies you during your stay in Quebec, you must verify this person’s eligibility for coverage under the provincial health plan.

To contact the RAMQ, call 514 864-3411. You can also visit the RAMQ website.

If the person who accompanies you is not eligible for coverage by the RAMQ, you must purchase a separate insurance policy. In this case, plan on adding an estimated $1,000 to your annual budget. As soon you arrive in Quebec, you must contact insurance companies to obtain coverage for family members. It is your responsibility.
Fees covered
This medical insurance plan only covers the student for medical and hospital fees, and for prescription medications. It does not include dental care or eye care (glasses). The plan includes a repatriation component in the case of death or disability.
Cost of coverage
The cost of this coverage is automatically added to your invoice for tuition fees.To find out more: Rates leaflet (pdf).

  • Fall arrival: invoice for 12 months (3 sessions)
  • Winter arrival: invoice for 8 months (2 sessions)
  • Summer arrival: invoice for 4 months (1 session)

Laboratory work-term exchange or research students will be invoiced on a monthly basis. Please note that these students are required to pay these amounts when they submit their administrative documents. Payment can be made by credit card, debit card or money order (bank or postal). Cash payment is not accepted.

This coverage is individual only. Family members are not eligible.
Request for reimbursement for medical fees
Keep the receipts for any medical expenses that you incur, and then send a request for reimbursement to the insurance company using the Claim for Healthcare Benefits form {insert form}. You can also submit your claims to the insurer using their online service.
Dental insurance
ÉTS students are registered and billed for dental coverage with the Alliance pour la santé étudiante au Québec (ASÉQ). However, this coverage is optional. If you would like to opt out of this insurance coverage, you must do so before the deadline. You will not be authorized to opt out after the deadline.

Before making your decision, keep in mind that visiting a dentist in Quebec for a cleaning may cost up to $150, depending on the dental clinic.

Only international students enrolled in the ECH exchange program are not registered for this coverage.

To learn more, including the deadline for opting out, visit the Alliance pour la santé étudiante au Québec website or call the ÉTS Student Association at 514 396-8883.

Additional insurance

International students covered by the RAMQ may choose to obtain health, sight, and travel insurance coverage from the Alliance pour la santé étudiante au Québec (ASÉQ)  to cover costs not paid for by the RAMQ.

If you are interested in this coverage, contact the ASÉQ within 30 days following your registration with the RAMQ.

If you are a student athlete and are covered by the RAMQ during your studies, please note that you must enroll in the supplemental insurance from ASÉQ in order for you to benefit from physical therapy treatment.

Visit ASÉQ online for more information about this coverage.
Travel insurance
If you plan to travel outside Quebec during your stay, you must obtain adequate travel insurance. This measure will help prevent unpleasant surprises if you become ill or are hospitalized during your travels outside Canada.

  • If you are covered by Desjardins, check the restrictions on your coverage if you travel outside Canada. Contact your insurer for details about your coverage.

  • If you are covered by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ), see its online page on travel outside Quebec. We highly recommend that you obtain travel insurance for protection while outside of Canada.
Repatriation insurance
For your peace of mind and that of your loved ones, we suggest that international students covered by the RAMQ obtain additional insurance coverage for repatriation in the event of complex and continuing care or death in Canada.

If you are covered by the Desjardins illness and hospitalization insurance plan, you don’t need to purchase additional coverage. The Desjardins plan includes a guarantee of repatriation in the event of complex and continuing care or death in Canada.
Home and civil liability insurance
While optional, home and civil liability insurance is essential to protect your belongings and protect against any damage you may cause to another person.

Study the various options offered by insurers and choose the option that best suits your needs.

By becoming a member of Réseau des ingénieurs du Québec (Quebec’s network of engineers), you may benefit from certain discounts with regard to insurance coverage.
Accident insurance
You will find information on this type of insurance in the section titled Accident insurance.
Useful links
For any questions related to this coverage, including claim requests, please consult the Desjardins Insurance Information website or contact the insurer at 1-866-838-7580.

List of medical clinics recommended by the insurer (you can always consult a physician at the clinic of your choice).