Depending on your particular situation, you will have health insurance coverage during your stay through Desjardins or Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ). We recommend that you carry your health insurance card with you at all times.

In Quebec, not everyone has a family physician. As an international student, you won’t be able to join the waiting list for a family physician. However, there are various types of clinics where you can get medical care. How do you find a doctor?

Non urgent health problem

For non-urgent health problems, we suggest that you call the Info-Santé healthcare service, which is free of charge and accessible 24 hours a day. Dial 8-1-1, and a nurse will answer your questions and provide advice. The nurse can also direct you to other medical resources near you, where you can find a general practitioner if you need one.

Please note that certain medical clinics do not provide appointments to people who are not registered as patients with their staff physicians.

Pharmacists can also advise you and recommend products that do not require a prescription from a physician.

If you want to see a specialist, for example, a dermatologist or gynecologist, you must first see a family physician or general practitioner in a clinic that does not require appointments or one that offers emergency services.

Useful link:
Info santé

Urgent health problem

If you are on the ÉTS campus when the emergency occurs, you can dial 55 from an internal phone to reach the Service de la prévention et de la sécurité (the Prevention and Safety Office).

Off-campus and anywhere in Canada and the United States, you can reach emergency services by dialling 9-1-1. This number provides access to ambulance services, the police department, and the fire department. Call 9-1-1 only in the event of a genuine emergency.

Please note that ambulance services are not free of charge. If you use this service, you will be billed for it. It is possible to purchase additional insurance coverage to pay for the costs of ambulance services. Speak to your insurance company about it.

Other healthcare services

Other healthcare professionals may provide you with useful services, including:

  • Acupuncture specialists
  • Chiropractors
  • Dentists
  • Dieticians
  • Massage therapists
  • Naturopaths
  • Optometrists
  • Osteopaths
  • Physical therapists
  • Podiatrists
  • Psychologists

In Quebec, these healthcare services are paid for by the patients – they are not free of charge. Most medical insurance policies, however, provide some coverage for these services. To find out more, speak with your insurer.

  • If you are covered by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ), you may enroll in the additional insurance coverage provided by the ASÉQ to pay for some of these services (not all services listed above are covered by the insurer). You must request this additional insurance coverage no later than 30 days following your registration with RAMQ.
  • If you are covered by the Desjardins health insurance, check your policy regarding coverage for the services listed above and call the insurer if you have questions.

Practitioners’ competence

Before asking for an appointment with one of the practitioners listed above, make sure he or she is licensed to practice. You can do this by calling the appropriate association or order of professionals.

Quebec’s order of professions provides a registry of  professional orders online. 

Free services at the Student Services Office

All enrolled students have access to services offered by the Student Services Office. These services include free and confidential psychological counselling for any difficulties relating to your studies as well as personal or interpersonal issues : individual consultation