Official documents and health insurance

Official documents

A student who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident must obtain authorization from the Québec provincial government and the Canadian federal government in order to study in Québec.

1. Verify that you hold a valid passport.
2. Depending on the length of your stay in Québec (less than or more than 6 months), verify which official documents you must obtain from the governments of Québec and Canada

Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
The Québec government is responsible for issuing a Québec Acceptance Certificate. You will find the form and the list of supporting documents required at the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion du Québec (MIDI) website. You may also wish to consult the List of exemptions and Processing times pages.
Study permit
The Canadian government is responsible for issuing a study permit. Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website for detailed information concerning study permits, including processing times and les eligibility requirements.

Health insurance

The Québec government has signed reciprocal agreements pertaining to social security, including a health component, with the following countries:

  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Greece
  • Luxembourg
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Sweden

If your country is a signatory to this type of agreement:
Upon arriving in Montréal, call or visit the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) in order to obtain your registration form, and submit your application for registration as soon as possible. By doing so, you will be able to take advantage of the health plan without delay.

You must have the following documents with you in order to register:

  • The duly completed RAMQ registration form;
  • Proof of insurance or certificate of affiliation with the health plan of your country of origin (form SE-401-Q-102) if you are enrolled in a regular program; for citizens of France, use the following forms:
    • Form SE-401-Q-106 for mobility students
    • Form SE-401-Q-104 for work-term students working in a laboratory
  • The Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), if you hold a study permit;
  • A certificate of full-time enrollment, which you can obtain from the Bureau du registraire (Registrar’s office) at ÉTS;
  • Proof of citizenship.

You must also have your photograph taken on site at the RAMQ offices. A fee of $9 plus taxes will be charged for the photograph (subject to change).

For more information, consult the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) website.

If your country has not signed a reciprocal agreement with Québec
You must enrol in the ÉTS health insurance plan. The cost of the plan for an individual is approximately $CAN 83 per month (subject to change). However, you must pay the full amount for the entire year in one instalment. Go to the Bureau du registraire (Registrar’s Office) upon your arrival at ÉTS in order to enrol in the health insurance plan. For more information, contact the Bureau du registraire by phone, at 514 396-8800 extension 8888, or by e-mail, at

Renewal of official documents

Your official documents must remain valid throughout your stay. If you extend your studies at ÉTS or if your documents expire during your study session, you must renew them and provide proof of renewal to the Bureau du registraire (Registrar’s office). We recommend that you begin the process of renewing your documents at least three months before their expiration date. Consult the following websites:  ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion du Québec (MIDI) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.